Project 1 was on the topic of detailed observations of natural objects. I initially focused my attention on shells as I had some sitting in the garden that had some interesting weathering effects to them. I experimented with different media, initially starting in my new preferred media charcoal and concentrated on trying to show the texture of the shell. I then tried soft pastels, pencils, ink, frottage, pencil and chalk experimenting with loose and tight strokes.
One thing picked up in Assignment 1 was not showing in my sketchbook how I was experimenting with compositions and layouts. So I took this as an opportunity to experiment, both with physically moving the shells and doing quick sketches of the layouts.
I also experimented with using sandpaper as a background material and so stuck a piece of this in my sketch book. It really didn’t work as well as I had planned and needs much more experimenting with.
I then re-read the task we were asked to do and realised it was more about tones and colour. Although my shells had some colour I felt like I needed to use something with more varieties of colour so I went back to something I had experimented with early in my sketchbook. I picked out a selection of oranges and first played with different media. I used crayons, pencils, ink pens, oil pastel and soft pastel. I liked the watercolour nature of both the crayon and the pencils but felt the crayon worked best with water on this paper. The pens were a disaster as the colours did not blend at all and my mark making was not as effective as it could have been. I liked both the soft and oil pastels as the colours layered and blended well so show all the orange tones in the fruit.
I used the oil pastel to draw one composition:
However, upon reading the task again I realised we were supposed to use pencils and so I reverted back to my coloured pencils to draw another composition.